Windows let fresh air in and keep cold air out. Through them, you keep an eye on children at play and watch for the arrival of loved ones. They dress up your home’s exterior and provide a place to hang curtains and freshen up the interior.
But when your windows don’t function as they should, it might be time to replace them. Here are eight signs it’s time to install new windows.
1. Condensation or frost builds up: If you wake up and can’t see out your windows because Jack Frost paid a visit overnight, it can be a sign that your windows aren’t sealed properly. Condensation on your windows might be another sign that air of different temperatures is mixing because the windows aren’t airtight.
2. Glass is hot or cold to the touch, depending on the season: If your windows are cold when you press your hand against them or hot to the touch in the summer, this can be an indication that your windows aren’t as efficient as they once were at protecting your home from exterior temperatures.
3. Drafts or cold pockets are noticeable around them: If you drink your morning coffee next to the kitchen window and you can feel cool air in your midst, it might be a sign that it’s time to replace your windows. Likewise, if you move through a room and experience noticeable temperature differences as you pass by windows, it can mean they need to be replaced.
4. Materials are in disrepair: Obvious signs of age and wear, like cracked window frames or rotting sashes, are a great indication that your windows should be replaced. And if you can’t open or close your windows because they are broken or painted shut, it can be a great time to invest in new ones.
5. Exterior noise disrupts your day: Traffic on the road out front, sounds of a community festival down the street, or neighborhood children calling to each other can be louder than expected inside if your windows aren’t doing their job. Replacing your windows can improve your home’s serenity.
6. You want to improve energy efficiency: If you’re looking to replace windows or doors in your primary residence, make sure they have the Energy Star label. Energy-efficient windows can save you money and provide extra protection from the elements. In addition, glass coatings can decrease UV penetration and protect your home’s furnishings.
7. Your curb appeal needs improvement: Well-kept windows improve the overall appearance of your home. Whether you’re replacing all your double-hung windows or just adding a huge picture or bay window for the family room, new windows make a statement.
8. Your windows aren’t clear any more: When windows become filmy, streaked or dirty between the planes of glass, that means the factory seals are broken. Outside air has infiltrated the area between the panes, and there is no longer “dead air” acting as a thermal barrier between the panes.
Replacing your windows can be a big investment, so it’s important to work with a professional. Some people choose to replace them all at once, and others opt to do one side or level of a home at a time. If it’s time for you to replace some windows, trust Craftsmen Home Improvements for your new window installation.